Lifetime's New Raised Garden Bed

Lifetime's New Raised Garden Bed

Lifetime's New Raised Garden Bed

garden3.jpgSpring is on its way! Well, maybe, depending where you live, right? Nonetheless, we are excited to announce our new “Spring” product… the Lifetime Raised Garden Bed! This 4 x 4 foot garden kit makes it easy to have a successful garden in less space.

We’ve been consulting with fellow Utahan, Mel Bartholomew, who invented the square foot garden. The purpose of this smaller garden is to grow a larger, more plentiful harvest with less cost, in less space, using less water and seeds, and less work than traditional gardens.

With its simple, do-it-yourself assembly and low-maintenance features, gardening has never been so easy. Not requiring any tools, your garden can be assembled in less than an hour. Growing your own garden can be a very inexpensive and healthier way to consume your vegetables. And nothing tastes as good as homegrown tomatoes or squash!

garden2.jpgConstructed of UV-protected high-density polyethylene, it is low-maintenance, weather resistant, and won’t rot, crack or peel. It does not emit toxicity and makes for an aesthetically appealing design that would look nice on any porch or backyard. There is also the option for the early start enclosure, which keeps the heat and moisture needed when plants and vegetables are planted in the colder months. A step-by-step gardening guide is also included.

Now you can grow more vegetables or plants in a smaller amount of space with the Lifetime Raised Garden Bed! The Lifetime Raised Garden Kit is available nationwide and in Canada at all Costco Wholesale Stores.

Name- Darrin

Position at Lifetime Products- Product Marketing Manger – Lawn & Garden

How long at Lifetime Products- Since 2006

Topics I blog about- Gardening, Backyard & Garden organization, Home Organization, Garage Organization, Community/Service Projects.

My favorite products from Lifetime-  Do I have to say sheds

Comments

Liz Alley

2/13/2011 5:56:59 PM

I saw these at Costco and am going to purchase. I would like to be able to buy additional tent enclosures. Are they available?

Tonnie

2/14/2011 2:13:08 PM

Hi Liz! Yes, additional tents are available for purchase through our Customer Service department. You can contact them at 1-800-225-3865. Thanks for asking!

Nancy

2/13/2011 6:01:34 PM

I saw your product in Costco today and I was under the impression that the plastic cover/screen was included. I am correct in this? Thank you

Tonnie

2/14/2011 2:14:09 PM

Hi Nancy! Yes, you are right. The Raised Garden Kit comes with one Early Start Enclosure (plastic cover / screen). Enjoy!

Mary Campbell

2/17/2011 2:09:15 PM

Help! Yesterday I purchased at Costco a 4' raised bed. The tent cover is too small and will not fit over the frame. Do you have more than one size tent cover available for purchase?

ron

2/18/2011 8:28:23 AM

Hi Mary, you need to adjust the poles and va voom it magically fit's. The instruction should add that as a revision to prevent customers from returning the product.............have fun gardening.

2/18/2011 1:47:13 PM

Thanks Ron. Hi Mary. Thanks to Tonnie for responding for me as I was out of town.

The "Early Start Enclosure" should fit very tight, especially the first time you install it. If you are still are having trouble please contact our Customer Care department: customercare@lifetime.com or 800-225-3865 and they will be happy to send you a new one.

Good luck with your garden. If you get a chance, send us some pictures of the produce once you have it!

Elizabeth

2/19/2011 8:31:11 PM

Hi, I saw this at Costco today. I was wondering if the two 4x4 beds could be made into one 8x8?

2/21/2011 10:06:32 AM

Hi. Unfortunately no, the boxes are designed only to work as two separate 4ft. x 4ft. boxes. The reason for this is that this size allows you to reach all the way into the box to harvest and pull the occasional weed.

Mary Anne Chase

2/20/2011 10:02:26 AM

I am really excited about the raised bed and bought one at Costco. I will be using the two frames separate, so when I installed the cold frame brackets one bed I noticed how they really support and stablize the bed. Is there a way I can purchase four more brackets alone? (part number CUO) This would also give me the freedom to move the cold frame to different beds if needed.

2/21/2011 10:19:48 AM

Hi. I can't wait to get my boxes growing either. If only it would quit snowing here in Utah! The boxes are designed to stay together even without the brackets. However, we have the extra brackets you are looking for available through our Customer Care department. 1-800-225-3865 or customercare@lifetime.com.

Enjoy your garden!

Jackie Somma

2/20/2011 11:29:55 AM

The interest around the raised garden beds at Costco was amazing. I purchased two sets to replace my aging damaged wood frames. My husband is out in the yard putting these in now! On your Lifetime Products website, you do have an online store. Can you add the tent enclosures to the online store so that we don't have to call customer service to purchase additional tents? Thanks!

2/21/2011 10:32:40 AM

Excellent! Since our boxes are made from High-Density Polyethelene (HDPE) they should last much longer than those made from wood. As far as the tent goes, this is such a new product for us we haven't had a chance to put them up for sale on our website yet. Our Customer Care department will be happy to order you one. They are very efficient so you should be able to get it ordered quickly. 1-800-225-3865 or customercare@lifetime.com

Good luck with your garden!

Bobby

2/20/2011 1:21:28 PM

I've been looking on the site for if they sell the raised garden bed tent by itself. Thanks

2/21/2011 10:42:18 AM

Hi. You have probably noticed from the other posts we are getting a lot of questions about this. We are working to get the tent available for purchase separately online. In the meantime please contact our Customer Care department to order one. 1-800-225-3865 or customercare@lifetime.com

Guido Stein

2/23/2011 5:42:40 AM

I am thrilled to see a affordable option for square foot gardening, as soon as i can get over to Costco I will pick one up... I hope they are still there.

Kathy

2/26/2011 7:56:43 PM

I'm so excited about this! I've been using 'Square Foot Gardening' off and on for years, and my dad has used it ever since Mel Bartholomew wrote the book! When I saw these at Costco, I thought how awesome they would be for SFG...glad to see that was that process behind it! Sent my email to ask about additional tents. Thanks so much for making gardening that much easier! (BTW, I used the empty soil bags as weed block for my second bed.)

2/28/2011 9:58:30 AM

Hi Kathy, I am jealous that you are already planting. We are still under a foot of snow here in Utah. Good luck with your garden. One thing to be cautious of in using your soil bags as weed barriers... often these bags are plastic and if placed under your the soil in your bed may not allow for water drainage. I would not recommend using them unless water can pass through. Good luck. Keep us posted on how it's going!

Cat Kay

2/27/2011 7:59:17 AM

It appears from the picture above that 2 units can be stacked to give more growing depth than a single unit, is that correct? Secondly, we would love to use these on our driveway as it gets the most sun (too many lg. trees), if we use these at a single unit height, can we grown tomato, pepper, eggplant, etc. as these usually need cages or staking? Thank you.

2/28/2011 10:45:24 AM

Hi Cat. Yes, two units can be stacked to create a taller box. The instructions will tell you how to do this, and there are connectors included to help keep it together. Second, your pepper, tomatoes, eggplant, etc. will grow just fine in a single unit height. However they will need vine support. You will need to build some kind of trellis for them. One idea might be to fill a can with ready-mix concrete and then insert your trellis before it sets. This way your trellis will have a base to hold it up independent of the box. Once the vines have started growing they will help stabilize the trellis. Happy growing.

Marci

2/27/2011 2:06:57 PM

Hi, I saw your raised garden bed with tent at Costco and can't wait to use it. I have a deer and rabbit issue. Is the tent strong enough to protect from the wildlife. Also, at what outside temperature to you remove the early start enclosere

2/28/2011 11:22:54 AM

Hi Marci. The Early Start Enclosure is designed to help protect young plants from frost. However, some plants need to stay warmer than temperatures above freezing. I would recommend that you contact your County Agricultural Agent. These are state paid gardening experts who can give you advice about specific plants. Even better, their service is free. The enclosure should protect well from deer, however those rascally rabbits may be able to slip in between the enclosure and box top. Let us know if you are successful at keeping them out!

Celeste

3/1/2011 6:55:09 AM

Hi..I also live in Utah. Is there a certain temperature that the tent works best with to begin using the boxes? Are there any alternatives to making this into a mini-greenhouse for year-round use? Thanks!

3/2/2011 3:48:33 PM

Hi Celeste, thanks for your question. The purpose of the early start enclosure is to protect plants from frost. As far as serving as a mini-greehouse, there are other components to a greenhouse so I'd recommend talking with your County Agriculture Agent. These are state paid gardening experts who can give you advice and the best part is--their service is free. Keep us posted on how things go!

Renee

3/1/2011 9:12:44 PM

I see that the gardens can be stacked two high, but I'd like to go either 3 or 4-high. Is this possible with your product? Thanks.

3/2/2011 4:41:33 PM

Hi Renee, that's a great question. Unfortunately, the boxes have only been designed to stack two high. They are made to interlock two high, but stacking three or four high--they would not interlock. We don't recommend stacking them higher than double. Thank you for asking!

Shaun

3/2/2011 8:14:41 PM

I saw your Raised Garden Kit in the new Costco Connection. When I went online to Costco.com I found 3 options, but not yours! Is there another link to make purchases?

3/3/2011 5:36:42 PM

Hi Shaun, thank you for your question. The Raised Garden Bed will be available on our website www.buylifetime.com in April and it is also available at Costco Wholesale clubs. Happy gardening!

Arin

3/7/2011 12:40:44 PM

I inquired in my local costco stores and this is product is not available. Do not all costco carry them?

3/7/2011 3:26:57 PM

Hi Arin, it is selling so quickly some stores may not have inventory. I would recommend checking back, as they should be getting some. Thanks!

Nancy

3/14/2011 1:18:40 PM

I am wanting them to be 8 x4, or 12x4 can you contect them to make them longer?

3/14/2011 3:56:51 PM

Hi Nancy, unfortunately the boxes have only been designed to work as two separate 4ft. x 4ft. boxes. The reason being is it allows you to reach all the way into the box to harvest and pull the occasional weed. You could always put two or three side by side to make an 8ft. x 4ft. or 12ft. x 4ft. box. Hope that helps you!

neena

3/16/2011 12:24:47 PM

I've set up my beds as two 4x4 beds and they look great! My problem is the enclosure tent leaves a 1" gap between the top of the box and the bottom of the tent. I've pushed down on the stakes as much as I can, but they don't go in further. Any solutions for this?

3/16/2011 4:45:50 PM

Hi Neena, it sounds like you have a manufacturer's defect. If you contact our Customer Care department at 1-800-225-3865 or customercare@lifetime.com, they will be able to send you a replacement. Good luck with your garden!

Carol

3/17/2011 2:06:24 PM

I purchased these at Costco yesterday and am anxious to use them. Since the ground where I live is not level, and since my neighborhood is inhabited by lots of plant loving deer, I'm hoping to use these on one of my decks. Can you recommend something to place under them to prevent the damp soil from rotting the deck -- or is this whole idea a bad one? Thanks!

3/18/2011 10:48:21 AM

Hi Carol, thanks for your question. The box needs to be able to drain, so putting it on something that water could damage is not a good idea. Concrete would be fine, since it would be able to drain and won't rot the concrete. Happy gardening!

Florence Quinones

3/23/2011 1:47:18 PM

I was super excited when I saw your kit at Costco and bought them immediately because you never know how long things will last at Costco. It took me less than an hour to put them together. It took way longer to fill them! My only question is how do you recommend attaching grids?

3/24/2011 5:51:38 PM

Hi Florence, that is great to hear! As far as attaching grids, we recommend using either Venetian blinds or wood laths. We don't recommend drilling holes in the box to attach the grid, however, attach them to the soil by using a long galvanized nail at every 12-inch intersection. Happy gardening!

tammy

3/29/2011 3:23:45 PM

I jsut set mine up today ( Im in CA)! I have both mibe stacked on one another because of poor clay soil. So I plan on going to buy clean dirt how much dirt shall I need. And should I buy regular veg soil at home Depo to mix in? I also saved my coffee ground and egg shells and blended it all up in a mixer for fertilizer!

3/30/2011 6:06:47 PM

Hi Tammy, thank you for your question. You can actually find these answers in the manual that was enclosed with your Raised Garden Bed kit, but I'd recommend using a mix of vermiculite, peat moss and blended compost (the manual will explain what each of these are used for) however, one 4' x 4' box takes approximately 8 cubic feet of mix and you will need 2.5 cubic feet (75 quarts) of each product. Glad to hear you've already assembled your Raised Garden Bed! Keep us posted on how things are going for you in California. Also, if you are interested in composting, check out our 65 and 80 gallon Lifetime Composters!

Joshua Ertel

3/31/2011 3:26:04 PM

I love this Product. My father came home with one and then we had to "twist his arm" to get another. No effort to set it up and they are very sturdy. My question is how do you recommend mixing the different material? should i use equal parts or should i use more vermiculite or peet mose?

4/1/2011 11:13:24 AM

Hi Joshua, glad to hear you are enjoying your garden--enough to talk your father into getting another one! As far as mixing soil, I'd recommend using an even mixture of vermiculite, peat moss and blended compost (75 quarts of each). Best of luck on your garden!

Cat Kay

4/4/2011 9:24:08 AM

Hi Darrin, I also have a 1 and 1 1/2" gap between my tent and the top of the raised beds. (2 tents on 2 separate beds). I was told by customer service that the 1" gap is normal and the 1 1/2" gap can be remedied by new rods (being sent now). I am still concerned about the 1" gap since your product picture doesn't reflect a 1" gap and a blogger above also mentioned the same issue and you recommended a tent replacement. Is the tent suppose to sit flush to the box unit or is it suppose to sit 1 " above it? Will I have any issues with my tender young plants being attacked by mice, critters, or frosted by our unpredictable weather? I am not sure what the purpose of a 1" gap around the perimeter is when there are 2 zip opens on the tent to vent it?

4/4/2011 12:12:09 PM

Hi Cat Kay, it sounds like you have a manufacturer's defect. You mentioned replacement poles are currently being shipped to you. Please keep us posted on how the new poles work for your garden. Thank you and best of luck!

Madge Bennett

4/8/2011 2:08:48 PM

I purchased Lifetime's Raised Garden Bed from Costco in April 2011. This product included two (2) 4'x4' raised beds, one (1) plastic frost cover in a bag and two (2) sets of shock corded rods (both in bags) to support the cover as well as assembly clips. One (1) set of shock corded rods was located in a box with the frost cover. An a second set of shock-corded rods were found in a bag with a note that stated: "NOTICE Please use these Shock-Corded Rods for the Frost Cover. Discard the other set as they will be too long." However, when we set up the shock-corded rods were found that each set was the same length. We put the shock-corded rods on the raised garden bed as instructed and we could not put on the frost cover. We thought the rods were too long and contacted your customer service department who has requested that we provide your customer service department a picture of the two (2) sets of rods and the two bags as well as measurements in order to receive a shorter replacement of the shock-corded rods. However after reading your blog, I found that other customers were told that the frost cover was too small and a new one was sent. What is the problem a too small frost cover or too long shock-corded rods? It is a great garden, nice looking, well made but I wanted my little green house. What am I suppose to be asking for to your customer service -- a new frost cover or shorter shock-corded rods? Please help. I have already spent a hour or more on the phone with your customer service.

Rebecca Middleton

4/12/2011 9:37:21 AM

Hello, I am having difficult time trying to get this frame together. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Rebecca Middleton

4/12/2011 12:09:15 PM

Hi Rebecca, if you contact our Customer Care department at 1-800-225-3865 or customercare@lifetime.com, they would be happy to walk you through it.

Beth

4/13/2011 2:00:49 PM

Just wondering if this could work on concrete or if it needs to be set on dirt ground, I confess I don't know much about gardening but want to get started with one of these....thanks.

4/13/2011 4:33:34 PM

Hi Beth, what better time to learn than now! Yes, it will work on concrete as long as the water is able to drain out. Hope that helps you. Good luck with your garden!

Amy Lunt

4/22/2011 2:08:30 PM

Hi, I purchased the raised beds at Costco about a month ago, but I appear to be missing the little plastic plugs for the holes. I don't have the part # with me. Are they really important? Or can I put them together without? Thanks! Amy

4/25/2011 6:47:43 PM

Hi Amy, please contact Customer Service at 1-800-225-3865 or customercare@lifetime.com. They are important as they keep water out from the inside of the box frames. Good luck with your garden!

Rex edwards

4/24/2011 9:16:32 AM

When you stack two boxes, do you just double the 3 part growing mix? Or should you put down a cheaper base?

4/25/2011 6:50:34 PM

Hi Rex, you only need (at most) 9 inches of growing mix. So cheaper base would work. The only catch is you don’t want to mix your cheaper base into your good soil. Check with your local nursery. Some have the growing mix, as described in bulk, that runs cheaper. Thanks for asking!

Bruce Montega

1/8/2012 5:20:44 PM

I am considering purchasing your product, but I can't find the depth measurement. 4x4x? How deep is the single unit?

1/10/2012 12:07:54 PM

Hi Bruce! The Lifetime Raised Garden Bed is 9 inches in depth. All the experts say 6 inches is needed for successful growing. Happy Gardening!

Howie Meeker

2/14/2012 8:29:03 PM

Bought two of these raised beds last year here in Vancouver area at Costco warehouse. Want a couple of more but Costco on-line shows none and there is nothing in warehouse (this was time last year when they were there). Are they coming back to Canadian Costco's? If not, is there a Canadian Lifetime for the free shipping?

2/15/2012 12:53:15 PM

Hi. Unfortunately Costco Canada didn't take this item from us this year. They are available at Costco Warehouses in the US, or you could order them from us directly online. Our retail web site is www.buylifetime.com Shipping to Canada is extra but we do offer it. If you have questions you could call our online store staff at 1-800-424-3865.

I hope this is helpful. Happy Gardening.

Susan

3/17/2012 1:27:31 PM

I am stacking mine double height and putting the tent up to protect against critters. How much solid do you recommend filling the box with? Should we fill it all the way to the top or 3/4 of the way down?

3/23/2012 4:40:53 PM

Hi. In answer to your question... it depends. It depends on what you are growing. Technically you should only need no more than 6-9 inches of "good" soil. You could fill the boxes up to that point with regular soil and then put the good stuff on top. You will want to end the soil very near the top, so that the plants are not shadowed at all by the sides of the box. I would recommend putting down some weed barrier cloth between the good and bad soil. Also, once the risk of frost has gone, and your plants are established, your plants will do better if you remove the tent. They will prefer the direct sun.

If you are growing deep-rooted plants (potatoes, long carrots, etc.) you will want to have more good soil. I hope this is helpful, and you enjoy your box. Send us some pictures of your harvest!

Marlene Stevens

5/27/2012 12:26:24 PM

I purchased my first raised bed garden last year at Costco. It was easy to set up and I had a very successful first year. I loved it so much, in fact, that I purchased a second one this year. I've set them up as single high units and intend to purchase two more covers to have four covered beds total. I noticed that this years' model has only one zippered door. Last years' model had two (one on opposing sides). It is so much easier to tend to the beds with two opening sides to water, weed, tend and harvest. I do not have to remove the cover at all during the frosty times. It has been known to frost all the way into July here in the high desert of Central Oregon. Is there a way to get the two door cover? I'm not as happy with one.

5/29/2012 2:48:25 PM

Hi.

Unfortunately we had to go to the one door cover to keep the cost down. You may be able to purchase a two door cover by contacting our Customer Service department. 1-800-225-3865

You can ask them if they have any two door models of the covers left.

Happy Gardening.

Lisa Brown

7/24/2012 12:33:53 PM

What happens next year and the year after? Do I just add in some additional mulcth before plantig?

7/24/2012 4:33:21 PM

You should be able to get at least two harvests from your Raised Garden Beds. You don't need to wait until next year to plant Fall crops. When planting, add a couple of small shovels full of compost to each square, if using the square foot gardening method, or mix in some compost to the entire box. If you started your boxes with the recommended materials you should only ever have to add compost with each new planting. I hope this helps.

Dorothy Brown

2/18/2013 3:26:32 PM

Hello: I have two sets of your kits and would like to grow potatoes, carrots, etc. There one set of hardware for each kit, but I'm thinking I'll need to double one of the kits to grow the carrots and potatoes. I used the hardware on each single box for one of the kits and need additional hardware to double my boxes. Can additional hardware be purchased?

2/18/2013 3:57:45 PM

Hi. Glad you are enjoying your boxes.

I am not exactly sure what you are requesting. One kit (two 4x4 boxes) are designed to stack on top of each other without additional hardware. The top box is flipped upside down.

However, if you still feel you need additional hardware you can obtain it from calling our Customer Service department at

1-800-225-3865. Happy Gardening!

Dorothy Brown

2/19/2013 5:43:46 PM

Sorry Darrin, My message was a bit confusing. I have the two single boxes and now one double box setup, and had sufficient hardware for all three. I was really thinking about the hardware for the garden cover, wondering if it could be purchased separately, apart from another garden cover. But, as it stands at the moment I don't need it as I found a mini greenhouse to use over the double beds. I was planning to attach the extra hardware over the double bed to use the garden cover without having to remove hardware from the single boxes. To the other customers, I've found that the garden covers have about a 2 inch gap, which is normal according to customer service (although the pictured item looks differently.) I used the cover and had no problems with little varmits getting into my patch of greens this past fall. Loved that the cover kept the bugs out also.

2/19/2013 5:46:24 PM

Ok, now I understand.

Sounds like you got it all worked out. FYI we sell the covers separately through our retail web site at www.buylifetime.com

They are model 60078. I can't wait to get my garden going... we are still too cold here even for the early crops, but soon!. I had tremendious success with mine last year! Good Luck.

Beth

3/13/2013 12:14:15 PM

Will these be available at Costco (US) again this year? I need a second kit and would prefer to purchase from Costco. Thank you!

3/13/2013 12:37:18 PM

Hi. Sorry but unfortunately no, these are not available at Costco this season. The only place to purchase them is online, from various retailers.

Health Fair - Be Ready Lifetime
OnOct. 7th and 8th,Lifetime Products hosted their 6th annualemployee Health Fair. Bringing a wide variety of companies and vendors to the Freeport Center,this eventgives Lifetime employees the opportunity to explore various health related topics and ask questions about company benefits. This year, Lifetime's Health Fair focused on being prepared at home, work, and in the community for disasters and other life situations. Featuring food storage and first aid stations to nutritional information and health screenings, the Health Fair had various booths and vendors available to educate employees on preparedness. This event also allows employees to get basic health tests and screenings done each year. Preventative screenings such as checking blood pressure, glucose levels, body fat, and others, provides a great benefit to person...
Lifetime's New Raised Garden Bed
Spring is on its way! Well, maybe, depending where you live, right? Nonetheless, we are excited to announce our new Spring product the LifetimeRaised Garden Bed! This 4 x 4 foot garden kit makes it easy to have a successful garden in less space. Weve been consulting with fellow Utahan, Mel Bartholomew, who invented the square foot garden. The purpose of this smaller garden is to grow a larger, more plentiful harvest with less cost, in less space, using less water and seeds, and less work than traditional gardens. With its simple, do-it-yourself assembly and low-maintenance features, gardening has never been so easy. Not requiring any tools, your garden can be assembled in less than an hour. Growing your own garden can be a very inexpensive and healthier way to consume your vegetables. And nothing tastes as good as homegrown...
Win A Lifetime Paddleboard!
This giveaway has ended. Are you trying to find a fun, new way to stay cool this summer and maybe get some exercise at the same time? Well, look no more. Last week on our Facebook page, I posted this close-up picture of one of our products and told our fans that if they correctly guessed the product, we'd give one away this week! We had several people guess it was a kayak. (Close, but not quite.) But, lucky for you, we also had a few fans who knew it was a picture of a Lifetime Freestyle Paddleboard! In fact, this picture is showing one of thehandles used to adjust the fins - a feature unique to Lifetime Paddleboards. Want to know another unique feature of Lifetime's new stand-up paddleboard? We include a paddle! Sounds strange, but most other paddleboards do not come with a paddle. Lifetime's does and, it's even an adjust...