Basketball Hoop FAQs During Winter Months

Basketball Hoop FAQs During Winter Months

Basketball Hoop FAQs During Winter Months

basketball.jpgLast week, 49 of 50 states in America had snow on the ground in at least some part of the state. Florida was the only state to escape the big snow storms hitting the rest of the country.

With cold temperatures upon us, there are many questions that come up about winterizing basketball systems and what steps should be taken to ensure your system is ready for next spring. Here are some FAQs that will hopefully shed some light on questions you may have concerning your basketball hoop.

Q:  Should I use antifreeze in a Lifetime portable base during the winter months?

A:  No, antifreeze is not necessary. Lifetime bases are made out of high-density polyethylene plastic that is flexible enough to expand with the water when it freezes.

Q:  What other maintenance is required to weatherize my basketball system?

A:  Lifetime’s basketball systems are built specifically to withstand all types of weather. All of our parts are designed to handle both cold and hot temperatures, so there really isn’t much maintenance needed to prepare your system for weather changes. However, it is usually a good idea to take down the nylon net when the system is not being used so it does not deteriorate over time.

Q:  What routine maintenance is suggested to get my basketball hoop ready for play again in the spring?

A:  Even though our systems are built to withstand harsh weather conditions, there are a few things we suggest doing in the spring to ensure optimal performance.

1. Make sure to check the water level in your portable base and fill it to capacity.
  2. Check and replace the nylon net if worn or damaged.
  3. Though not required, it is usually a good idea to spray lubricant on pivot points or moving parts for optimal performance.

Q:  Is it better to use sand or water in my portable base?

A: Lifetime uses water in our bases to test the performance of the basketball systems. We ensure the systems can handle up to 40 mph winds without tipping over. However, sand is also a good option, and each one has pros and cons.

Sand: Is about 45% denser than water, making it more difficult to tip the system over. This is good if you slam-dunk a lot, but bad if you regularly move the portable system around. Sand is more expensive and difficult to put in the base, but sand does not evaporate like water.

Water: Is cheaper and usually takes less effort to obtain. However, water can also evaporate over time, making it necessary to check the water level in a base regularly.

Jason

Jason

Name- Jason

Position at Lifetime Products- Product Marketing Manager for the Sporting Goods category.

My favorite products from Lifetime- Our current family favorite is the Big Stuff Hard Roof Play set.  The boys and their cousins LOVE it!  Since our home has the tendency to become a gathering place, we get the most use out of our large array of Lifetime Folding Tables.  We have our eye on the Ace Flyer for Christmas.  I have grand plans for The 60” Lifetime Mammoth Basketball System, I just need to first do a little backyard excavation for the play area.

Comments

Jackie Hjelmstad

5/20/2011 1:21:48 AM

Our family purchased our first portable Lifetime basketball system last spring. Our children enjoyed playing with the system on a daily basis. We live in a cold climate during the winter months, and had filled the base with water that we refilled on a as-needed basis. Over the winter months, which can become quite cold, we followed the recommended directions, and left the base, hoop, and backboard in place for the season. After spring arrived, as we arrived home one day, we noted that our basketball system was tipped over and had damaged a vehicle in the driveway on a windy day. After careful inspection, we noted a hole in the corner of the base that had developed over the winter. After much internet and Lifetime company search, I have been unable to locate a dealer or other store that will sell the base separately. The remainder of the system is in good working condition. I do not feel that the stability of the base in colder winter months withstands the claims mentioned above. We have not had our system one year, and now will likely have to replace the hoop and backboard/pole as well, since we have been unable to locate a separate base for purchase. We are pretty disappointed in the base, and will likely not purchase another for our driveway.

Jason

5/20/2011 4:47:25 PM

I am sorry that you had a bad experience with one of our portable bases.  As you have read, our bases are designed to withstand the harsh conditions of the cold winter months.

Based on what you have shared, I assume your systems base must have had some type of manufacturing flaw.  I have forwarded your information to our customer service department.  They should be contacting you in the near future about finding the replacement part you will need.

Once again, I am sorry this happened to your basketball system.

-Jason

Robert Orlowski

7/15/2012 11:40:06 AM

We have an issue with our bottom as well. Last week we retuned home to ind a puddle. Under our net, further inspection showed that Seam had split apart and all the water leaked out. I as well am finding it difficult to repair. I have tried jb weld and silicone one caulk to no avail. I would like to get it repaired since the rest of the net is in great shape since it is only a year old.

Jan

7/26/2012 3:54:32 PM

Robert, I'm so sorry to hear about this. Since it is only a year old, it is still under warranty. So be sure to contact our Customer Care department so they can get you taken care of.  1-800-225-3865 or customercare@lifetime.com

Amber

7/25/2012 10:26:58 AM

We just bought a Lifetime portable hoop and my husband filled it with sand, but he lost the cap !! Where can we get a replacement cap so water doesn't get into the base? Thank you so much!!

Jan

7/26/2012 3:52:19 PM

Not a problem at all. Simply contact our Customer Care department and they can send you one.  1-800-225-3865 or customercare@lifetime.com

3:30 AM came mighty early
Welcome to my first blog post. This week I wanted to blog about my experience at the NATDA (North American Trailer Dealers Association) show in Dallas Texas. Sounds like a thrilling event I know but it was actually quite interesting. I was recently named Product Marketing Manager over Utility Trailer category as well as my other responsibilities of Lawn Garden Product Marketing Manger here at Lifetime. Since the trailer category is new category for me I decided that this show would give me an excellent opportunity to see first hand, under one roof, what is being offered in the trailer market. The show could have been for Lifetime tables too since many of the exhibitors were using them to display their brochures. Backfire I was so impressed and hyped up about our trailers after the show that I purchased a 5x8 Fold-Up trail...
Pull Up A Chair!
Lifetime is excited to announce a new folding chair design that features a molded-in carry handle. This new addition to our chair program demonstrates our commitment to innovation and product development. The handle makes it easy for anyone to carry, transport and use, while providing a sleek, contemporary look. Built with the same comfort and durability that customers have come to expect from Lifetime chairs, our new design is the perfect addition to a home, office or outdoor gathering. The unique contoured design of Lifetime Folding Chairs makes them more comfortable than any folding chair on the market. They have a wide seat and a tall back that supports you in all the right places. Our engineers specifically design our chairs to be ergonomic and comfortable for all sizes and shapes. Constructed of high-density polyethy...
Repeat to Three-Peat?
The NBA Finals are hours away. Who do you have? Either way I think this is going to be an exciting rematch from the 2013 finals. Finals rematches don't come around too often so make sure you watch history in the making. The Spurs are coming for redemption and Heat are trying for a three-peat. The NBA Finals are always an exciting time of year in my house. We like to grill up BBQ for dinner and watch the games as a family. After the games, get out on a Lifetime Basketball system and shoot some hoops with the family to bring it home.